Canadian Friends of Cooperative for Education
Breaking the cycle of poverty in Guatemala through education
Founded in 2015, Canadian Friends of Cooperative for Education is a registered charity based in North Bay, Ontario with the purpose of advancing education. To carry out our purpose, we partner with US- and Guatemala-based nonprofit Cooperative for Education to deliver two types of innovative programs to Guatemalan youth:
- Scholarships & Youth Development: Provides the funds students need to stay in school, while wrapping innovative youth development activities and support services around a traditional scholarship. Students attend leadership, professional, and life-skills training and complete community service projects.
- Teacher Training: Gives teachers the tools to engage their students in the learning process, transforming children into lifelong learners and critical thinkers. Teachers learn innovative strategies for teaching reading and using textbooks in the classroom.
Rural Guatemala has one of the highest rates of poverty, illiteracy, and inequality in the Western Hemisphere. 40% of indigenous adults cannot read or write. The majority of indigenous young people drop out of school before reaching the sixth grade. Without education, they will repeat the cycle of poverty.
Cooperative for Education (CoEd) is a Cincinnati, Ohio- and Guatemala City-based nonprofit organization. CoEd’s mission is to break the cycle of poverty in Guatemala through education. Since 1996, they’ve reached more than 150,000 Guatemalan students with sustainable educational programs.
Canadian Registration #:
81644 2172 RR0001
How to Donate
Charitable Purposes Statement
- To advance education by providing publicly available scholarships, bursaries, and other forms of financial assistance to students who are poor, of low income or in need to be used for elementary and secondary education; and
- To advance education by providing literacy programs and computer training to elementary and secondary school educators.
- Colin Thacker (President)
- Greg Podmore (Secretary)
- Joe Berninger